We are a group of pupils who started their own 'Turtle Team' to help the school to be more environmentally friendly. We have now expanded to include some younger children and meet once a week.
So far we have:
- Persuaded the school kitchen to stop using small plastic pots for jelly and other puddings. Instead, we asked them to make the puddings in a large tray and spoon it out onto the dining trays.
- Helped the school community to recycle paper and card better by arranging for Tameside to provide us with more blue bins; ensuring all rooms in school have separate paper bins and labelling these; presenting in assembly so that everyone knows what to do.
- Organised for pens that have run out to be recycled through establishing collection points and presenting in assembly.
- Organised a crisp packet recycling scheme through setting up special crisp packet bins and presenting in assembly so that everyone knows what to do.
- We have made beeswax wraps for ourselves to use at home or to bring our sandwiches in.